This southern fried potatoes and onions recipe is a own circle of relatives preferred! You could make those pan-fried potatoes and onions for breakfast, brunch, or a dinner facet dish. Plus, they’re so smooth, they’re vegan, and they’re gluten-free! If you want those potatoes, attempt my Air Fryer Hash Browns, my Keto French Toast, or my Leek and Asparagus Quiche with Francis Sir Francis Baron Verulam and Gruyère!
SOUTHERN-FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS RECIPE
Who doesn’t love an smooth breakfast or brunch recipe? Well, I’ve were given a first rate one for you today! My preferred facet dish at brunch is actually potatoes, however so frequently they’re dry, bland, and boring. Too in many instances I’ve ordered domestic fries, hash browns, or a few different form of potato at brunch and been disappointed. Nothing compares to my mother’s southern fried potatoes and onions!
These pan-fried potatoes and onions, or as we name them, West Virginia fried potatoes, are a easy, brief recipe that may function a facet dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. You may even cause them to via way of means of themselves and feature a scrumptious snack. This is a five-aspect recipe this is so smooth to throw together, you won’t trust how right it tastes! Every time I order breakfast potatoes at restaurants, THIS is what I desire they’ll carry out!
FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS – BREAKFAST OR DINNER!
I were given this southern fried potatoes and onions recipe from my mother, who were given it from her mother. My mother become born in West Virginia earlier than her own circle of relatives moved to Philadelphia, so that might provide an explanation for the name! I grew up consuming those southern fried potatoes and onions so frequently, and I’ve made them plenty myself! They’re best with eggs and bacon, or my mother could cause them to on occasion with corned red meat hash.
But you may additionally experience those potatoes as a facet dish for dinner — they cross so properly with steak, chicken, or beef chops!
FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS INGREDIENTS
Did I point out that that is a five-aspect recipe? The substances listing is brief and sweet!
- vegetable oil – you’ll want sufficient canola oil, or different oil with a excessive smoke point, to coat the lowest of your solid iron skillet.
- potatoes – I use both Yukon gold or russet potatoes. The russets are a piece starchier, however I don’t thoughts the marginally softer texture.
- onions — I use yellow onions for a barely mellow taste, however you may use white onions as properly.
- salt and pepper – to tas
If you want, you may upload many of the following versions:
- garlic powder – making those fried potatoes with onions and garlic powder provides a exceptional taste element!
- pink pepper flakes
- chopped chives or inexperienced onions
Again, that is any such easy recipe. All you’ll want is a knife and reducing board to slice your potatoes and onions, a skillet or sauté pan to prepare dinner dinner them, and a spoon or spatula to transport them round withinside the pan! I normally make those fried potatoes and onions in a solid iron skillet to assist deliver them that fine brown caramelization!
FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS – EASY SOUTHERN FRIED POTATOES AND ONIONS RECIPE
- ¼ cup (fifty five g) vegetable oil – I used canola
- three medium Russet potatoes – peeled
- 1 huge yellow onion – sliced thinly
- salt and pepper – to taste
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) pink pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon (three g) chives – chopped (upload to completed potatoes)
- Heat oil in a sauté pan or solid iron skillet over medium-excessive warmness.¼ cup vegetable oil
- Slice onions and potatoes to ¼-inch thick.three medium Russet potatoes,1 huge yellow onion
- Carefully upload potatoes and onions to warm oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic powder and pink pepper flakes. salt and pepper,½ teaspoon garlic powder,1 teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- Cook, stirring frequently, till potatoes and onions are properly browned and tender, approximately 10-15 minutes. If desired, cowl the skillet to assist with cooking and bring a creamier texture.
- Transfer to a plate covered with paper towels to empty the extra oil for some minutes, pinnacle with chives, and serve!
Variations: This southern fried potatoes recipe is supposed to be easy, deriving maximum of its taste from the sautéed onions, however in case you would really like to spice it up a piece, It could be scrumptious cooked in butter or bacon fats in place of oil, and tossed in a few chopped dill. Just be cautious with the butter at excessive warmness as it burns greater without problems than vegetable oil. Accompaniments: We normally consume those southern fried potatoes with ketchup, however you can additionally serve it with garlic aioli or a few honey mustard sauce! Vegan: This recipe as written is vegan and gluten-free! Be aware about any versions which you upload that could have an effect on the nutrition (for example, gluten in any seasonings or animal merchandise in any of the versions above).
Serving: 1 serving | Sodium: eleven mg | Calcium: 23 mg | Sugar: three g | Fiber: five g | Potassium: 705 mg | Calories: 246 kcal | Saturated Fat: three g | Fat: 14 g | Protein: three g | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Iron: 1 mg